- 1-1/2 c. sugar
- 1 c. sour cream
- ½ c. butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1-3/4 (3 or 4) ripe bananas, mashed (I used 4 bananas)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 c. all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ½ c. chopped walnuts (optional)
- Brown Butter Frosting:
- ½ c. butter
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. milk
- Heat oven to 375F. Grease and flour 15×10-inch jelly roll pan. For the bars, in a large bowl, beat together sugar, sour cream, butter, and eggs until creamy. Blend in bananas and vanilla extract. Add flour, baking soda, salt, and blend for 1 minute. Stir in walnuts.
- Spread batter evenly into pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, for frosting, heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until boiling. Let the butter turn a delicate brown and remove from heat immediately.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract and milk. Whisk together until smooth (it should be thicker than a glaze but thinner than frosting). Using a spatula, spread the brown butter frosting over the warm bars (the frosting will be easier to spread while the bars are still warm).
I need to vent a little in this post. I guess I can because I am the recipe critic right? I think the most frustrating thing about making a recipe is not have it turn out the way it should. You put so much work into it and it doesn’t even look close to what is pictured. Well friends, that is what happened to me in this recipe. I took the time to make this and when it was finished it did not look close to what it should. I still went ahead and made the brown butter frosting hoping that would save it. It didn’t even cover half of the pan. I kept thinking, why do your banana bread bars look so delicious and thick with plenty of frosting? Fail. But then one lick of the frosting changed my mood instantly. Brown butter frosting is the most amazing frosting I have ever had. So back to the store I go to remake the banana bread bars. And if they fail again, at least I have the brown butter frosting. I re-made the bars in a 9×13 pan this time and they turned out perfectly. You can thank me later for saving you from all this trouble and making them perfectly the first time! Another great recipe for those over-ripe bananas.
Rating: 4 stars Difficulty of Recipe: 3 stars
Things that I changed: I made them in a 9×13 and added 1 Tbsp extra of butter.
Things that I would do differently next time: Nothing
Will I make this again? Yes
Recipe From: All Recipes
Posted in Childhood, Family, Grand-Children, Grandma, Today and tagged "Mickey McLaren" -" herself"with no comments yet.