- What is most important in your life?
- What do you admire about your life?
- What inspires honesty in you?
- What have you spent most of your time and energy on? Why?
- Gratitude…what do you have genuine gratitude for?
- What is it not too late to say? To whom?
- What has “saved” your life today? everyday? this year?
- Be a completely wishful thinker. Tell a wish you have.
- Recall someone who at sometime has been a lifeline and tell the story.
- What do you hope to still be working on when you die, literally or conceptually?
- Who do you call for help at 3 a.m.
- Who do you want to make proud?
- Tell a time you made someone proud.
- What person in your life has offered the most influence? guidance?
- Where have your actions spoken the loudest to demonstrate love?
- Who will miss you? Why?
- Besides those in your immediate family, who contributed to your being well?
- What moved your heart? Tell the story of proof.
“HAPPY HALLOWEEN” and “HAPPY BIRTHDAY Sister Alvira”
“Happy Birthday…Sister Mary Alvira”
“Happy Birthday to Sister Mary Alvira… and her Birthday is on October 31st…which is… also… HALLOWEEN!”
Sister Mary Alvira is the NUN sitting on the left of this photo…enjoying an ice cream cone on the Anniversary …a celebration taking place at the German St. Vincent’s Orphan Home.
The NUNS did not pose for pictures…way back when I was a small child at the Orphanage…but today you see more and more photos of the NUNS… but for me NOW… Sister Mary Alvira has passed on to her greater reward – – and it is too late to get photos that would be more current.
The above photo is a good likeness of Sister Mary Alvira…as I remember her. When… I was a very little girl – – and at the HOME – I really did not like her…but – – many years before I came to this HOME… she and her four other sisters were placed in the same Orphanage…I think that there Mother had died… and their Father had no way to take care of them – so they were ORPHANS…and four of these five girls did decide to join the Sisters of Christian Charity – so that they were a part of the Orphanage most of their lives.
Sister Mary Alvira was the youngest of these girls and was a teacher of the 5th and 6th grades … at the time…that – – I came to live here. One of the other siblings – – Sister Mary Emeline also came to serve as a NUN in the Orphanage…and was in charge of the Boys’ Dining Room… and I was assigned to work for her… and she was so nice and kind …that I became a very good friend of her’s for LIFE. Just because Sister Emeline was a blood sister of Sister Mary Alvira – – I changed my way of thinking about Sister M. Alvira – – and she also… became a very good friend…until the day that each of them passed on to the eternity… that they were each in hopes of going too… some day.
My memories are good of each of these sisters…who also became “SISTERS” in the same convent!
“HAPPY BIRTHDAY… SISTER MARY ALVIRA” on 10/31/2015
Posted in Childhood, Grand-Children, Grandma, Today and tagged "Sister Mary Alvira's BIRTHDAY"with no comments yet.
“Happy Halloween” to… “One and All”
Joshua: What do you get if you cross Bambi with a ghost?
Tim: What is a ghost’s favorite dessert?
Tim: Booberry pie.
Kirk: Why do mummies have no friends?
Kirk: Because they’re too wrapped up in themselves!
Stephen: What did the ghost say when the skeleton lied to him?
David: I haven’t a clue.
Stephen: “I can see right through you.”
Posted in Childhood, Grand-Children, Grandma, Today and tagged "Mickey McLaren" -" herself"with no comments yet.
“ANOTHER WRITING IDEA”
No Small Feat
Posted in Childhood, Grand-Children, Grandma, Todaywith no comments yet.
“Wisdom of….. 2ND GRADE SCHOOL CHILDREN”
WHY GOD MADE MOMS
ANSWERS GIVEN BY,,……… 2ND GRADE SCHOOL CHILDREN TO THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
WHY DID GOD MAKE MOTHERS?
- SHE’S THE ONLY ONE WHO KNOWS WHERE THE SCOTCH TAPE IS.
- MOSTLY TO CLEAN THE HOUSE.
- TO HELP US OUT OF THERE WHEN WE WERE GETTING BORN.
HOW DID GOD MAKE MOTHERS?
- HE USED DIRT, JUST LIKE FOR THE REST OF US.
- MAGIC PLUS SUPER POWERS AND A LOT OF STIRRING.
- GOD MADE MY MOM JUST THE SAME LIKE HE MADE ME. HE JUST USED BIGGER
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE MOTHERS MADE OF?
- GOD MAKES MOTHERS OUT OF CLOUDS AND ANGEL HAIR AND EVERYTHING NICE
IN THE WORLD AND ONE DAB OF MEAN.
- THEY HAD TO GET THEIR START FROM MEN’S BONES. THEN THEY MOSTLY USE
STRING, I THINK.
WHY DID GOD GIVE YOU YOUR MOTHER AND NOT SOME OTHER MOM?
- WE’RE RELATED.
- GOD KNEW SHE LIKES ME A LOT MORE THAN OTHER PEOPLE’S MOM LIKE ME.
WHAT KIND OF A LITTLE GIRL WAS YOUR MOM?
- MY MOM HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY MOM AND NONE OF THAT OTHER STUFF.
- I DON’T KNOW BECAUSE I WASN’T THERE, BUT MY GUESS WOULD BE PRETTY
- THEY SAY SHE USED TO BE NICE.
WHAT DID MOM NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DAD BEFORE SHE MARRIED HIM?
- HIS LAST NAME.
- SHE HAD TO KNOW HIS BACKGROUND. LIKE IS HE A CROOK? DOES HE GET
DRUNK ON BEER?
- DOES HE MAKE AT LEAST $800 A YEAR? DID HE SAY NO TO DRUGS AND YES
WHY DID YOUR MOM MARRY YOUR DAD?
- MY DAD MAKES THE BEST SPAGHETTI IN THE WORLD. AND MY MOM EATS A
- SHE GOT TOO OLD TO DO ANYTHING ELSE WITH HIM.
- MY GRANDMA SAYS THAT MOM DIDN’T HAVE HER THINKING CAP ON.
WHO’S THE BOSS AT YOUR HOUSE?
- MOM DOESN’T WANT TO BE BOSS, BUT SHE HAS TO BECAUSE DAD’S SUCH A
- MOM. YOU CAN TELL BY ROOM INSPECTION. SHE SEES THE STUFF UNDER THE
- I GUESS MOM IS, BUT ONLY BECAUSE SHE HAS A LOT MORE TO DO THAN DAD.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MOMS AND DADS?
- MOMS WORK AT WORK AND WORK AT HOME AND DADS JUST GO TO WORK AT WORK
- MOMS KNOW HOW TO TALK TO TEACHERS WITHOUT SCARING THEM.
- DADS ARE TALLER AND STRONGER, BUT MOMS HAVE ALL THE REAL POWER
CAUSE THAT’S WHO YOU GOT TO ASK IF YOU WANT TO SLEEP OVER AT YOUR
- MOMS HAVE MAGIC, THEY MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER WITHOUT MEDICINE.
WHAT DOES YOUR MOM DO IN HER SPARE TIME?
- MOTHERS DON’T DO SPARE TIME.
- TO HEAR HER TELL IT, SHE PAYS BILLS ALL DAY LONG.
WHAT WOULD IT TAKE TO MAKE YOUR MOM PERFECT?
- ON THE INSIDE SHE’S ALREADY PERFECT. OUTSIDE, I THINK SOME KIND OF
- DIET. YOU KNOW, HER HAIR. I’D DIET, MAYBE BLUE.
IF YOU COULD CHANGE ONE THING ABOUT YOUR MOM, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
- SHE HAS THIS WEIRD THING ABOUT ME KEEPING MY ROOM CLEAN. I’D GET
RID OF THAT.
- I’D MAKE MY MOM SMARTER. THEN SHE WOULD KNOW IT WAS MY SISTER WHO
DID IT NOT ME.
- I WOULD LIKE FOR HER TO GET RID OF THOSE INVISIBLE EYES ON THE BACK OF HER HEAD.
Posted in Childhood, Grand-Children, Grandma, Todaywith no comments yet.
“Johnny… was the TALL ONE”
“Why are “YOU” so… TALL?” That is a question … that… I bet all “TALL” people are asked – – at a time – – when the rest of the FAMILY – – find… more in the FAMILY… to compare with – – and “YOU” are the one and only one – – “HEAD and SHOULDERS” – – above ‘all’ the rest of us?
This PHOTO… below is also on WARNE AVENUE – – in the NORTH Saint LOUIS area…
This is early 1900’s – – and things are making ‘hi ways’ in the building of the buildings in the downtown, Saint LOUIS area…. as “JOHN R. Brady” is one of those men – – with the real “know-how” to have the mixture of cement – – stand the test of TIME!
My MOTHER told me – – and I wish… I would have written down just – – some of the things she would tell me – – about the older FAMILY. – – But… as one of the kinds of kids – – that thought that they would remember everything – – that they were told – – till they were old and gray – – – well … NOW – – I am sorry – – that I did not write a few notes – – with the old PHOTOS – – because my BRAIN – – just can not open up… some of those old “memory” files – – for exactly what I would like to pass on – – to the newer FAMILY members.
For some of those old buildings… DOWNTOWN – – to have foundations – – that will last forever – – there is something about the using of cement – – that you need to KNOW – – and our “Uncle Johnny” was the man that KNEW! BUT and of course…. there is a price to PAY – – when working with the materials that he was working with – – some chemicals and materials – – work their way into your BODY – – and he developed “CANCER” – – cutting his LIFE shorter – – than some of his other brothers. But for those of us that KNOW – – we can appreciate the fine work he did – – in giving “Saint LOUIS” buildings – – that our PAST and SMARTER Generation – – made for those of our ancestors – – to give and pass on… that ‘we’ will have – – and enjoy – – for ‘all’ the next … generations to come.
“It makes me feel good… to know – – that my ancestors worked hard to build up “St. LOUIS” – – for many… many generations – – and that “ST LOUIS” is a real “KEY” to the growing “WEST” – – and the making and building up of our “AMERICA” – – as… GREAT as she is!” D.V.
Posted in Childhood, Grand-Children, Grandma, Today and tagged "JOHN R. BRADY"with no comments yet.
“Remembering… GRANDMA BRADY”
More… old PHOTOS… “Grandma Anne E. Brady” – – herself…
“Grandma Brady” another day – – or later… – – evidently done with the cleaning out of the “Bird Cage” in the previous PHOTO – – my MOTHER told me – – that they always had a singing “Canary” – – and I still have the special “bird-bath” dish that my MOTHER had for her … very own “Canary!”
Sure am glad that someone with a camera – – thought to take a few PHOTOS of “Grandma BRADY” – – – even though these are not the best – – at least — – if you have very good “eye-sight” – – you can see some resemblance – – to some of the BRADY FAMILY – – and some of the “BRADY Clan” – – – – that are growing up in… 2017!
These PHOTOS were taken in the early 1900’s – – as you can tell by the length of the “dress-type apron” worn to do some work in the home – – or for cleaning the house – – you do remember that “MONDAY” was WASH DAY – – and “TUESDAY” Iron the clothes day – – each “DAY” of the week you did the same ole stuff – – and were so… GLAD to HAVE… a DAY of REST… SUNDAY!
“SUNDAY” was not a day of rest for this “GRANDMA” – – because all of the married children came home – – for the special meal that only “GRANDMA BRADY” would make – – and they all filled up – – as everything was made from scratch – – – and so “delicious”- the best of “HOME-MADE” desserts to finish a meal with . My MOTHER had told me – – that “GRANDMA” always made her own “BREADS” – – they were selling “BREADS” at some “SHOPS” – – but her FATHER, MR. BRADY – – had said he would only eat the “BREADS” … that his wife, “NAN” would make.
“Those were the “DAYS” where the FAMILY was altogether on SUNDAY – – after CHURCH – – all celebrated the best of meals – – just as if it was “CHRISTMAS” … every SUNDAY!”
Posted in Childhood, Grand-Children, Grandma, Today and tagged Anne E. Smart Bradywith no comments yet.